切换到宽版
  • 81阅读
  • 9回复

双语阅读 [复制链接]

上一主题 下一主题
在线jenny
 

Don't let the past be the stumbling block you of your future.
不要让过去的错误成为未来的绊脚石。
Sometimes you have to fall before you can fly.
有时候,你得先跌下去,才能飞起来。
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.
对明天做的最好的准备,就是把今天做到最好!
Success will never be a big step in the future. Success is a small step taken just now.
成功从来不是未来将要迈出的一大步,而在于眼下刚刚迈出的一小步。
Never underestimate your ability of changing yourself!
永远不要低估你改变自我的能力!
When the going gets tough, the toughs get going.
道路艰难,唯勇者行。
Don't be afraid of the distance between your dreams and reality.
If you can dream it, you can make it so.
别害怕梦想和现实的距离。只有想不到,没有做不到。
Everything in life is temporary, even bad days and sleepless night.
生活中的所有一切都只是暂时的,包括乌云密布的日子以及一个个不眠之夜。
Be strong, believe in who you are. Be strong, believe in what you feel.
强大一些,要相信你自己。坚定一些,要相信自己的感觉。
Throughout your life, there are only two ways you can choose: either you dream about life, or you live life in person.
终此一生,只有两种办法:要么梦见生活,要么落实生活。What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea.
最具有可塑性的寄生生物是什么?是细菌吗?是病毒吗?是肠虫吗?其实是人的想法。



在线jenny

只看该作者 沙发  发表于: 03-15
原来这么多年用香水都用错了!
DON T RUB YOUR WRISTS TOGETHER
不要摩擦手腕
If you re in the habit of spritzing your wrists and then rubbing them together, you re actually ruining the scent.
如果你习惯把香水喷到手腕上,然后将两个手腕相互摩擦,你其实是在破坏香味。
That s because the friction  heats up the skin, which produces natural enzymes that change the course of the scent , with the top and middle notes being worst affected as well as the dry-down - the long period during which the fragrance unfolds.
这是因为摩擦“会让皮肤发热,从而产生会改变香味阶段的天然酶”,前调和中调受的影响最大,后调——香味逐渐释放的漫长过程——也会受影响。
If you re wearing a floral perfume, for instance, this heat makes it lose its crispness.
如果你用的是花香型香水,这种热度会让其丧失清新的味道。
To keep your fragrance smelling like it should, as well as making it last longer, spritz it once and then simply let it sink in.
为了让你的香水散发出它本应有的美好香气,并且让香气更持久,你只需喷一下,然后让香水自行渗入皮肤。

DON T KEEP IT IN THE BATHROOM
不要把香水放在浴室里
Perfume is extremely sensitive to environmental changes and will be impacted by changes such as going from cold to hot.
香水对外界变化极其敏感,并会因此受到影响,比如温度由冷变热。
This process sets off  unexpected chemical reactions within the natural ingredients  of the perfume such as patchouli, meaning your perfume will age faster and start to smell  off .
温度变化会引发香水的“天然原料(比如广藿香)之间意想不到的化学反应”,这意味着你的香水会“老得更快”,开始“变味”。
The best way to store your fragrance is in its original box at room temperature.
储存香水的最好方式就是放在原装盒子里,置于室温环境中。

DO OPT FOR SMALLER SIZES
选择小瓶装的香水
If you are lucky enough to have lots of bottles or you don t use your favourite perfume every day, oxygen will start to break down the molecules as it languishes on your dressing table.
如果你足够幸运,拥有许许多多瓶香水,或者你不是天天用最爱的香水,那么氧气就会开始打破香水的分子结构,使其在你的化妆台上渐渐挥发、变质。
A typical bottle has a shelf life of three months so if you re not using a perfume daily, you re best off buying a smaller variety.
典型香水的保质期是三个月,所以,如果不是天天用香水,你最好买一个小瓶装的。
Or you could decant your bigger bottles into smaller containers and keep them in the fridge to maintain perfection.
或者你可以把你的大瓶装香水分装到几个小瓶,把它们放到冰箱里,以保持完美的香味。

DO EMBRACE SYNTHETICS
选择含人造成分的香水
The idea of a perfume that boasts of being all-natural might sound appealing, but the fragrance may well let you down.
打着纯天然旗号的香水也许听着很有吸引力,但是这种香水的香味会让你失望。
Musk, which was formerly derived from animals, is probably the most popular fragrance ingredient but must be created synthetically.
麝香很可能是最受欢迎的香水原料,过去取自于动物,现在只能人工合成。
Other popular smells, such as peony, freesia, and lily of the valley, can t be extracted naturally as they don t release enough aroma so they must be re-created.
其他受欢迎的香味,比如芍药、小苍兰、铃兰,不能通过自然手段提取,因为这些花释放的香味不足,所以必须人工再造。
According to Kurkdjian the ideal formula is a blend of essential oils, absolutes, and man-made ingredients.
库尔吉安指出,最理想的香水配方是精油、净油和人工原料的混合。


DO SPRITZ IT ON YOUR HAIR
把香水喷在头发上
Perfume actually doesn t last too long on dry skin, according to Kurkdjian and as you sweat the natural oils destroy the fragrance.
库尔吉安指出,香水其实不能在干燥的皮肤上停留太久,在你流汗时,天然的油脂会破坏香味。
You can combat this by using the matching body lotion or making sure your moisturiser isn t scented so it doesn t interfere.
你可以通过使用和香水气味相配的身体乳或不含香精的润肤露来防止香味互相干扰。
If you want to ensure longevity, mist your scent lightly on your hair or on a scarf.
如果你想让香水留香时间持久,你可以把香水轻轻喷洒在头发上,或者围巾上。
Because they move with the air, it helps with the diffusion of the scent,  he explained.
他解释道:“因为头发和围巾随风飘动,这有助于香气的弥漫。”
If you are putting perfume on your skin, target spots that are exposed to the air.
如果你把香水喷在皮肤上,最好喷在暴露在空气中的身体部位。
It s no good putting it on pulse points such as the wrists and inner elbows if they re covered up.
如果手腕或手肘被衣物覆盖的话,把香水喷在手腕或手肘内侧等脉搏跳动处是没有用的。
在线jenny

只看该作者 板凳  发表于: 03-15
一个成年人的情绪崩溃是这样的

Here's what an adult's meltdown looks like


You can't do want you want
无法随心所欲
You can't show weakness in public
不能当众示弱
You can't affect work and life
不能影响工作和生活
What you can do is just to make sure to
crash alone in the middle of the night
只能确保在休息的深夜里独自奔溃
I knpw it is very helpless
也很无奈
But please don't make any decision at this time
这个时候不要做决定
And don't talk
也不要说话
Just be quiet for a while
自己安静地呆一会
Let go of the negative emotions
把负面情绪消化掉
在线jenny

只看该作者 地板  发表于: 03-15
不要惦记不可能的人
一些道理:
钱真的很重要
拖延真的很害人
要知道珍惜眼前人
不要太惦记不可能的人
每个人都是平凡的
活着真好,但是不容易

Here are some truth for you:
Money really matters
Procrastination really hurts
Treasure those who are with you right now
Don't miss them too much while they are the impossible
Everyone is born ordinary
It's good to live, but it's not easy

在线jenny

只看该作者 4楼 发表于: 03-17
硕果和玫瑰
Results And Roses

Edgar Albert Guest
埃德加•阿尔贝特•格斯特
The man who wants a garden fair, Or small or very big,
要想有个美丽花园, 面积大小姑且不管,
With flowers growing here and there, Must bend his back and dig.
只要园中长满鲜花, 就必须把汗水挥洒。
The things are mighty few on earth, That wishes can attain,
有愿望就能实现, 这样的事还真是少见,
Whatever we want of any worth, We?ve got to work to gain.
只要想要的东西有价值, 就得靠努力去创造。
It matters not what goal you seek,
目标是什么并不重要,
Its secret here reposes: You've got to dig from week to week,
秘诀终归只有一条:周复一周不怕劳累,
To get results or roses.
才能收获硕果或者玫瑰。
在线jenny

只看该作者 5楼 发表于: 03-17
失败的意义
The Significance of Failure

Robert H. Schuller
罗伯特•舒乐
Failure doesn't mean you are a failure,
失败并不代表你是个失败者
It does mean you haven't succeeded yet.
它只表明你尚未成功
Failure doesn't mean you have accomplished nothing,
失败并不代表你一无所获
It does mean you have learned something.
它只表明你吸取了一次教训
Failure doesn't mean you have been a fool,
失败并不代表你很愚蠢
It does mean you had a lot of faith.
它只表明你信心百倍
Failure doesn't mean you've been disgraced,
失败并不代表你无脸见人
It does mean you were willing to try.
它只表明你百折不回
Failure doesn't mean you don't have it,
失败并不代表白费功夫
It does mean you have to do something in a different way.
它只表明你的方法仍待改进
Failure doesn't mean you are inferior,
失败并不代表你低人一等
It does mean you are not perfect.
它只表明你也并非完人
Failure doesn't mean you've wasted your life,
失败并不代表你浪费了生命
It does mean you have a reason to start afresh.
它只表明你有理由重新开始
Failure doesn't mean you should give up,
失败并不代表你应该放弃
It does mean you must try harder.
它只表明你要加倍努力
Failure doesn't mean you'll never make it,
失败并不代表成功永远不属于你
It does mean it will take a little longer.
它只表明你可能需要付出更多的时间
Failure doesn't mean God has abandoned you,
失败并不代表上帝已经将你抛弃
It does mean God has a better idea.
它只表明上帝还有更好的主意

在线jenny

只看该作者 6楼 发表于: 03-17
每当我害怕
When I Have Fears

John Keats
约翰•济慈
When I have fears that I may cease to be Before my pen has gleaned my teeming brain,
每当我害怕生命或许就要止息, 我的笔来不及苦集盈溢的思绪,
Before high piled books, in charactery, Hold like rich garners the full-ripened grain;
或把文字变为高高堆起的书籍, 像饱贮的谷仓蓄满成熟的谷米;
When I behold, upon the night’s starred face, Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,
每当我看见那缀满繁星的夜景, 巨大星云画出非凡的传奇幻像,
And think that I may never live to trace Their shadows, with the magic hand of chance;
想到即使运气帮忙,对我垂青, 生前或许也无法追摹这些云影;
And when I feel, fair creature of an hour! That I shall never look upon thee more,
每当我感到那瞬间即逝的美颜, 也许从今以后再也不可能看见,
Never have relish in the faery power Of unreflecting love;
更无法享受轻松爱情魔力若仙
—then on the shore Of the wide world I stand alone,
——于是,在广袤世界的崖岸, 我形孤影单地伫立,
and think Till Love and Fame to nothingness do sink.
细细思量, 直到爱与声名沉入乌有的穹苍。

在线jenny

只看该作者 7楼 发表于: 03-17
成功的内涵
What Is Success

Ralph Waldo Emerson
拉尔夫•沃尔多•爱默生

What is success? To laugh often and love much; To win the respect of intelligent people
成功是什么?笑口常开,爱心永在, 赢得智者的尊重,
And the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics
孩子们的爱戴;博得真诚的认可,
And endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others;
容忍损友的背叛;欣赏美好的东西, 发现别人的可爱。
To give one’s self; To leave the world a little better, Whether by a healthy child,
学会无私地奉献, 给世界增添光彩:要么培育出健康的孩子,
A garden patch, Or a redeemed social condition; To have played and laughed with enthusiasm
要么留下花园一块, 亦或是改善社会条件;
And sung with exultation; To know even one life has breathed easier,
尽情娱乐、笑得畅快, 把欢乐的歌唱起来;甚至知道一个生命活得自在,
Because you have lived... This is to have succeeded.
因为你的一路走来…… 这就是成功的内涵。
在线jenny

只看该作者 8楼 发表于: 03-17
拼搏者、偷懒者还是幻想者?
It may be the defining London sight: people walking up escalators at Tube (地下铁道) stations. In this city only tourists stand goggling (瞪大眼睛看) blankly into space. That’s because London—like Manhattan, Hong Kong and other great cities—has fallen into the hands of strivers. They are driving everyone else out of town.
这也许是伦敦的标志性景象:地铁站里的人们沿着自动扶梯向上走。在这个城市,只有游客才会站在扶梯上茫然发呆。这是因为伦敦和曼哈顿、香港以及其他大城市一样,已经成为拼搏者的天下。他们正把所有其他人赶出城市。

Philosophers and pop psychologists spent centuries trying to explain humankind, but only in 1996 did the South African novelist Jo-Anne Richards (南非记者、作家,代表作为《无辜的烤鸡》) and I finally identify the three basic human types: strivers, slackers (逃避工作的人) and fantasists.
哲学家和大众心理学家花费了数百年的时间试图来解释人类,但直到1996年,南非小说家约-安妮·理查兹和我才最终确定人类的三种基本类型:拼搏者、偷懒者和幻想者。

Strivers are restless overachievers who walk up escalators. Their habitats include the City of London and Davos. Almost all political leaders are strivers, except ones who inherited their position, such as George W. Bush. As Richards explains in a now-dead book proposal: “Strivers start companies, build skyscrapers and finish marathons. But not all strivers rule the world. They also make the trains run on time and organize charities.” A working-class female striver might become a head nurse. If the job market sidelines (把……排除在外) women altogether, she will strive vicariously (间接感受到地), through her children. “Strivers,” writes Richards, “have the energy     and discipline to make other people’s dreams come true.” Strivers make every minute count, and devote their leisure-time to self-improvement. Their drugs of choice are accelerators: coffee and cocaine.
拼搏者就是那些沿着自动扶梯向上走的人,他们永不停歇,成绩超凡。他们的聚集地包括伦敦金融城(英国英格兰大伦敦地区正中央的城市,是整个伦敦的商业与金融中心,在全球金融业中具有相当重要的领导地位)和达沃斯。几乎所有的政治领袖都是拼搏者,除了那些通过继承得到职位的人,比如乔治·W·布什。正如理查兹在一份已被否决的图书策划中所写的:“拼搏者创立公司,建造摩天大楼,跑完马拉松。但并不是所有的拼搏者都在统治世界。他们也保证列车准点运行,组织慈善活动。”一名劳工阶层出身的女性拼搏者可能会成为护士长。但如果就业市场将女性一股脑地排除在外,这位女性拼搏者会通过她的孩子们间接地拼搏。“拼搏者,”理查兹写道,“拥有让其他人梦想成真的能量和自制力。”拼搏者使每一分钟都过得有价值,把他们的闲暇时间用来完善自己。他们选择的药物是加速剂:咖啡和可卡因。
By contrast, slackers do nothing. “They prefer to avoid effort rather than pursue pleasure,” writes Richards. “This in itself can be exhausting.” It’s hard to name any well-known slackers, because by definition slackers rarely become famous, except by accident. Sometimes a slacker will get an idea for a novel or for creating world peace, but then she sinks back into the sofa and the moment passes. Whereas business newspapers celebrate strivers, slacker newspapers celebrate lottery winners. Andrew Lamprecht, in his seminal (影响深远的) article on slackers, writes that although they have “no idea what they want from life” they often compensate with “a catholic knowledge of television.”
与拼搏者相反,偷懒者什么也不做。“他们更愿意逃避劳动,而不是追求乐趣,”理查兹写道,“这本身就可能令人精疲力竭。”人们很难说出任意一个众所周知的偷懒者的名字,因为以偷懒者的本性来说,除非是意外情况,否则他们很少出名。有时,偷懒者也会萌生出写本小说或创造世界和平的想法,但随即她又会重新窝进沙发,这一刻就这样过去了。商业报纸对拼搏者赞颂有加,而休闲报纸却为中彩票者呐喊庆祝。安德鲁·兰普雷克特在他那篇影响深远的关于偷懒者的文章中写道,尽管他们“不知道自己想从生活中得到什么”,但他们经常以“从电视中获得的广博知识”作为弥补。

If slackers devote their leisure time to anything, it’s extended adolescent hobbies such as surfing or collecting comics. Their drugs of choice are anaesthetics (麻醉剂): vodka or cigarettes.
如果偷懒者利用闲暇时光来做些什么的话,那还是对他们青少年时期爱好的延续,比如网上冲浪或者收集漫画等。他们选择的药物是麻醉剂:伏特加或香烟。
The third human type, the fantasist, lives inside his imagination. Fantasists have little desire to impose themselves on the world. A fantasist might spend years writing a short story, then discard it. Fantasists are never efficient and always miss deadlines. They are suckers for (对……着迷) new age fads such as crystals. They do create a lot of art, which strivers buy. Fantasists’ drugs of choice stimulate fantasy: marijuana (大麻) or ecstasy. When people are presented with the three human archetypes, most claim to be fantasists.
第三类人是幻想者,他们活在自己的想象里。幻想者几乎没有什么改变世界的欲望。他们可能会花费数年时间写一部短篇小说,然后将它丢置一边。幻想者做事向来效率很低,总是错过最后期限。他们容易对新时代的潮流事物着迷,比如冰毒(结晶甲安)。他们确实创造了不少艺术品,而买家都是拼搏者。幻想者选择的是能刺激幻想的药物:大麻或者迷幻药。面对这三类典型,大部分人都自称是幻想者。


In truth, real people are usually a mix of the three archetypes. For instance, successful artists such as Steven Spielberg or Damien Hirst are generally striver-fantasists. However, most people tend towards one particular type: for instance, someone might be slacker-dominant, with fantasist streaks (特征).
实际上,真实的人通常是这三种类型的结合体。比如,像史蒂文·斯皮尔伯格或达米恩·赫斯特这样的成功艺术家通常都是拼搏型幻想家。不过,大多数人都偏向某一种特定的类型:例如一个人可能主要属于偷懒者类型,同时带有一些幻想者的特征。

Naturally the three types irritate each other. A fantasist friend once told me an idea he had for a book. Being a striver, I began to strategize about finding a publisher. The more I talked, the less enthusiastic my friend became. Eventually, he changed the subject. He never intended to write the book. He just liked imagining it.
自然,这三类人会使彼此感到不快。一位幻想者朋友曾告诉我他想写一本书。作为拼搏者,我开始筹划找一家出版商。但我谈得越多,我这位朋友就变得越没有热情。最后他干脆转变了话题。他压根就没打算写这本书。他只是喜欢对它展开幻想而已。

No wonder the three archetypes have tended to segregate themselves. In big cities, strivers gravitate to financial districts, whereas fantasists establish enclaves such as Greenwich Village (格林威治村) in 1950s New York or Belleville (美丽城) in today’s Paris. When strivers discover these enclaves and drive up prices, fantasists create more distant enclaves. Slackers generally avoid big cities, often preferring the parental home, writes Richards.
难怪这三类人往往会互相隔离对方。在大城市,拼搏者被吸引到金融区,而幻想者则建立起自己的领地,比如20世纪50年代纽约的格林威治村或是当今巴黎的美丽城。当拼搏者发现这些领地并抬高它们的价格后,幻想者就会在更偏远的地方创建新领地。偷懒者则一般会避开大城市生活,他们更青睐于父母所在的家乡,理查兹这样写道。

In the US, with its great geographic mobility, the separation of the three types was always marked. Strivers headed for Manhattan and Washington, whereas slackers preferred places such as Miami. You sense each city’s
dominant mode the minute you arrive: at JFK airport in New York, the lady running the cab rank (出租汽车停车处) bellows (吼叫), “Move it along, people! You, sir, take this cab.” She’s on her way up. At Miami airport, you can’t even find cabs.
在美国,由于地理上的巨大流动性,这三类人的分隔一直很明显。拼搏者向曼哈顿和华盛顿聚集,偷懒者则偏爱像迈阿密这样的地方。刚抵达一座城市,你就会感受到它的主导类型。在纽约的肯尼迪机场,管理计程车站的女士大声喝道:“大家往前走!你,先生,上这辆车。”她正在成为拼搏者的路上。而在迈阿密机场,你甚至都找不到计程车。

However, segregation of the three human types is now proceeding faster than ever before. Rising house prices and growing inequality are driving non-strivers out of big cities, and even out of previously fantasist coastal towns such as Cape Town and San Francisco. Slackers and fantasists must be upset, but unless you read blogs their voices go unheard, and they certainly won’t do anything about it.
然而,现在这三类人的分离速度比以往任何时候都快。日益上涨的房价和日益滋生的不平等现象正在把非拼搏者赶出大城市,甚至把他们赶出像开普敦和旧金山这样曾经属于幻想者的海滨城市。偷懒者和幻想者对此一定很郁闷,但除非你阅读他们的博客,否则你不会听到他们的声音。当然了,他们也不会对此采取任何行动。
在线jenny

只看该作者 9楼 发表于: 03-17
我希望我能变好一点,再好一点
When your eyes fall on me,
I wish I could be better, and a little better.
I hope to be a shining being,
I hope you will be proud of me one day.
你的目光落在我身上的时候,
我就希望我能变好一点,再好一点。
我想要成为发光的存在,
想要你有一天会因为我而骄傲。
快速回复
限100 字节
如果您在写长篇帖子又不马上发表,建议存为草稿
 
上一个 下一个